Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Where to go from nowhere - 2

The decision

Like so many things in my life, this property was not love at first sight.    I simply could not see myself there until I actually was.  This is something that sets us apart from the animals, I heard that somewhere, the ability to envision.  This is also a quality that, for better or for worse, I possess strongly.  I envisioned myself somewhere else.  It was not the first time that I had looked in this area.  I had previously, wholeheartedly, rejected the possibility.  I couldnt quite let that go. 

Despite my concerns we went to take a look.  .  It was motivating that they had a few plots open, which had not been available, when I had visited the previous spring.  This time we brought the whole family, it wasnt just me that had to be able to see it.  It had to be all of us.  We loaded up in our 12 passenger van, affectionately known as either Clifford or The Beast, and drove. 

The company that owned this area created farm subdivisions.  I had never heard of this before, but they had a streamlined process; with owner financing and a low down payment.  Honestly it seemed too good to be true.  It would work perfectly for our family.  This plot was 6 acres and private but not secluded, and quiet, blissfully quiet.  Not a siren or speeding vehicle to be heard. 

I talked while we made the 45 minute drive, laid out all the details, the pros and cons.  When we arrived we got out and walked, Jonathon, my husband, asked me again what the terms of the deal were.  Could we really live with the sandy terrain?  Most importantly, would the drive to work for him, to church, to the nearest grocery store 20 minutes, be worth it?  How much more would that add to our budget?  By the time we left he had said lets do it.  I was scared.  It was too easy.


I made the phone calls the next week.  Money exchanged hands, paperwork was signed, notarized, and mailed, and we were land owners, or at least had possession of the land we would one day own.  A dream had been realized.  I thought that this was the moment that everything would change; but the skies didnt open and burst forth with the Hallelujah chorus, there was no words written in the sand, there was no sign.   Life simply moved forward, the world continued to spin, it was just right and peaceful.  The next step in what we hoped for a long time.  We were on our way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment